Skip to main content

Trip to Bountiful


One of the great delights of life is to tool around to the different farmers' markets, stalls and farms in search of autumn's great bountiful.
This past Sunday didn't disappoint.
I'd been hoping to make a cranberry-apple crisp for a birthday, and we scored some frozen ones at the Ottawa's Farmer's Market along with Carleton's famous jerk rub. Oh yes, and being the farm girl from St. Catharines, how could I pass up the luscious concord grapes that had just arrived from Beamsville?
The corn proved a tad expensive, so we moved down to Cyrville Road where there's a chipwagon and a fresh produce stand with corn from the countrified part of Quebec.
Why stop there? We head down Hawthorne Road to Kiwan Farm, an actual working farm just past Hunt Club Road. We used to get our stuff from across the road, but alas, poor old Ivor, who used to run Limeydale, was felled by a heart attack this year. His farm lays untouched, tractors unridden, crops untended.
How sad, I thought.
But life and farming goes on.
So Kiwan has become our go-to place. The produce is absolutely fresh and spectacular and it's half the price of the market. We scored the biggest cabbage I've ever seen, bushels of tomatoes and peppers and fresh parsley, all for about twenty bucks!
The people who run the farm are from Lebanon and are very proud farmers.
We chatted for a bit, and the lady opened up a box reserved for their special clients.
She pulled out some sort of herb -- she didn't know what it was called in English -- which apparently is God's gift to the people of Lebanon and Egypt. It looked like sorrel; I'm going to look it up before I buy some so I can figure out exactly how to use it.
The nice lady farmer became wistful, talking about her homeland. Her husband described their village, which is in south Lebanon, as "paradise on Earth". The couple then became quiet, thinking about the plight of their people living in a land without hopes and dreams, a place of death and destruction.
As we were driving back with our haul, I got to thinking how lucky we are to live in a city where you can drive a couple of kilometres down the road, past the A&W, past all the industrial sites and find yourself in another world, a place where people sit out on their lawn and cook their lunch, tend to their vegetables and sell them to people like us.
I can't believe how much we take for granted.
The people who own Kiwan Farm don't take one day for granted.
Not one cob of corn or pepper. Not a cabbage, or a tomato.
Not even a little herb that makes the kitchen smell wonderful.
What people a world away wouldn't give to smell that herb, taste that tomato and go to sleep with a belly full.
Food for thought on this spectacular fall day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ashley Simpson: Conversation with Derek Favell Revealed

  On April 2, 2017, a family friend of Ashley Simpson opened her Facebook Messenger and got the surprise of her life.  Cathy MacLeod had been trying to correspond with Ashley's boyfriend, Derek Favell, who was the last person to see the St. Catharines native before she disappeared from her home in Salmon Arm, B.C. a year before. She wanted to know more about what happened to Ashley, and why Favell had refused to take a polygraph test when many others close to the missing woman agreed to do so. "I wanted to poke the bear," she said, and sent several messages to Favell pleading with him to talk to her.  " Please help us," she wrote. "It's been 10 months of pure hell. A lie detector would help if you have nothing to hide. I beg of you, help us, take the test to clear your name if there’s nothing to hide." Many, including members of the Simpson family, found Derek's behaviour, at least, curious. Ashley had disappeared on April 27, 2016. Yet it took

Ashley Simpson: A Father Remembers

I have asked Ashley Simpson's family and friends to give us a glimpse into the life she lived before going missing nearly a month ago. Here is how her father John remembers his sweet girl. Ashley was a treat when she came into this world, a smashing 9lbs 8 ounces with a  head full of hair and nails that needed to be clipped. She has made many friends in her journey of life and continues to make them as we speak. She has made this world a better place by her love of mankind and this place we call Earth; unfortunately this life she has lived hasn't been the best for her. She has suffered through unbearable pain and suffering through her menstrual cycles. She has cysts on her ovaries that make those 10 days a living hell. She had one of her ovaries removed when she was just 14; the other they won't take out till she is 40 or older. Years of hell for my Ashley. I so feel her pain every month but she doesn't quit, doesn't give in.   That's my

What Bell isn't telling you about Fibe TV

Update: This week, we switched back to Rogers after spending far too long using Bell's crappy television service. For those with Bell, read and weep. For those considering Bell, think twice even if you hate Rogers. RS I've always been an early technology adapter. I had a Betamax. That tells you everything (if you're over 50 at least). My first computer was a "Portable". It weighed 40 pounds and I had to lug it around town on a gurney. I've been through probably 15 computers in my lifetime. Apple is the best. It's also too expensive so I have a piece of shit HP, the one I'm writing this blog on. I've had cable, internet and now Netflix. American Netflix . That's how far ahead of the curve I am. I get all the newspapers for free. How? I disabled my cookies so they can't track me when I'm on the newspaper sites. Even the New York Times hasn't cottoned on to that trick. Hahaha. That will be a fifty buck consulting fee. Bein